Below are some frequently asked questions about how MTN is responding to COVID-19.
Has MTN Group recorded any employees with COVID-19?
– MTN has 7 reported cases of employees who have been infected with the virus at MTN Irancell.
If so, which region is the hardest hit in terms of MTN’s operations?
– Iran is the most affected MTN market.
Has MTN closed any of its offices, especially places such as Iran?
– Yes, MTN Irancell has closed its offices. The company has implemented a work from home plan for employees across the footprint.
What measures is your company taking to prepare for a potential coronavirus outbreak within your markets?
– Various preventative measures have been put in place to protect our employees:
- Work-from-home plans
- Provision of hand sanitizers
- Temperature screening at some of our offices
- Restrictions on international and domestic travel.
- A mailbox has also been set up for employees to submit queries or concerns they may have.
As the possibility of employees working from home grows, what are MTN’s solutions for customer service call centres?
– MTN will ensure that our customer service call centres remain operational.
How long will travel restrictions be applied?
– The duration will be determined by international health bodies such as the World Health Organisation and the Ministries of Health in all the countries in which we operate.
What has been the impact on your operations? How have customers been affected?
– MTN’s operations have not been affected to date. It’s important that we ensure the reliability and sustainability of our network during this pandemic. Furthermore, we have developed robust products and services to assist our customers.
How has your inventory/critical spares stock up progressed given that everyone would be trying to do the same?
– We have also made a concerted effort to ensure business continuity. Our services over this time will be even more critical, so a priority is ensuring network continuity, availability of spares and equipment and the upgrading of capacity.
Have African mobile operators received any information that there might be a tighter supply of smartphones?
– MTN’s smartphone vendors have indicated that COVID-19 has had an impact on the smartphone supply chain; we are working with them on a risk mitigation plan.
How has corona impacted your business?
– We have robust contingency plans in place to ensure the sustainability of our supply chain and anticipate a negligible impact on our operations.
There has been negligible impact on our operations thus far.
MTN Customers and communities
Will MTN’s network strength be able to support people that will be working from home / quarantine?
– Absolutely, the efficacy and bandwidth of our network is ensured.
Is MTN going to provide more cost-effective data and call rates, especially with more customers logging into their personal hotspots, to accommodate working from home and quarantine?
– We understand that customers will be constrained, therefore we are exploring ways to keep them connected.
Will MTN support schools and universities that have shut down with remote learning via online access?
– We are exploring various ways to support educational and other institutions during this period of uncertainty.